Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Rest of the Story

I was only eleven years old when my parents bought me a video camera for Christmas. I wanted to make movies with my friends so I could be like the older kids in my neighborhood that made movies too. The movies my friends and I made were all very similar and focused on the adventures of James Bond. Scene 1: James Bond gets a call from HQ about his new mission. Scene 2: Bond embarks on said mission. Scene 3: Bond fights evildoer and saves the world. The End. No storyboards, no script. Everything was improvised. After a while we lost interest in making movies, and my camera collected dust for years. That is, until the older kids wanted us to help them with their new movie about 1920s gangsters. My best friend Graham was cast as the mob boss and I played his right-hand man. The movie, entitled “The Grahamfather” (a mix of Graham’s name and the popular mobster movie “The Godfather”) was our best movie and the only one to generate a true sequel. Unfortunately, the sequel saw several characters get killed off as the actors that played them left the neighborhood for college and other callings in life.

Several years later, I found myself in college and feeling the need to make movies again. After watching the Grahamfather, I decided to go about making the third and final installment in the series. Failed attempts to round up the original cast, though, left me wondering if a new Grahamfather movie was even possible. It was then that I realized that not only was it possible, but the possibilities were practically endless. With a script now written and new kids in the neighborhood willing to work on the movie, all that’s left is to film it and provide my own take on “The Grahamfather”.

Word Count: 305

The Point: Sometimes picking up the pieces and reflecting on the past allows new stories to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment